Welcome to the homepage of the Society of Crystallographers in Australia and New Zealand
[SCANZ-info] mailing list
We have created an email list, called [SCANZ-info] for communication across the Australia and New Zealand crystallographic community. The SCANZ Council often receives requests to forward information and requests to its members. We have decided that a self-subscription mailing list is the best solution - one where only subscribers to the list are able to post. Please consider joining the list if you are interested in sending or receiving emails discussing crystallographic issues, employment opportunities, equipment or expertise requests etc.
Go to: http://maillists.uwa.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/scanz-info and follow the instructions.
CRYSTAL 31 to be held in Western Australia from December 3-7, 2017
The SCANZ Council decided that CRYSTAL 31 will be held in Western Australia from December 3-7, 2017. Stay tuned for further details concerning the venue, abstract and registration deadlines etc.
Maslen Scholarships for AsCA2016 Hanoi
The extended registration deadline for the 14th AsCA meeting in Hanoi, Vietnam is October 31, 2016 (http://www.asca2016.org). Funding to support attendance at this conference is available for postgraduate students from SCANZ in the form of Maslen scholarships. SCANZ members should have received an email with the application. Applications must be submitted by midnight on Friday September 30, 2016.
Conditions of the Award of a Maslen Scholarship:
1. That the applicant is enrolled as a full-time PhD Student at the time of his/her application and will be presenting their research at the meeting either in oral or poster form.
2. An applicant's supervisor must have been a financial member of SCANZ for at least 12 months prior to the submission of their application.
3. Applications should include a brief (less than 1 page) CV. Any written indication of support for the application from his/her supervisor would be positively regarded.
4. If a request for travel support is being made, additional information on this is required (1 or 2 sentences).
5. Support for any student will normally be limited to a maximum of: one overseas conference; one local (Australia or NZ) conference organised by SCANZ; and one local crystallography school organised by SCANZ. All awards are ultimately at the sole discretion of the SCANZ Executive.
Education Standing Committee
At our last Business Meeting in Hobart it was decided that SCANZ would establish an Education Standing Committee. The Committee will oversee the curriculum for the Australasian Crystallography School and any advanced methods schools that might take place when the Australasian Crystallography School is not scheduled. A temporary committee has been appointed to establish the Terms of Reference, consisting of David Turner, Jade Forwood, Laura Bourgeois and Micelle Dunstone. This temporary committee will present an outline of how the Education Standing Committee will function at the next SCANZ Business meeting for further discussion and approval from the membership. As that time we will also have an election for members of the Education Standing Committee.
Bid for IUCr-2023
Australia will be bidding for the honour of holding the Twenty-Sixth International Union of Crystallography Triennial Congress and General Assembly in Melbourne in 2023. At the recent SCANZ meeting in Hobart, a Melbourne team led by Professor Michael Parker (St. Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research) won the right to present Australia’s bid to host the meeting. The Melbourne Organising Committee consisted of David Aragão, Stuart Batten, Melissa Call, Megan Maher, Dean Morris, Michael Parker and Tom Peat. The local organising committee will now be expanded to include representation from around Australia and New Zealand. It is proposed that the Congress be held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, on the banks of the Yarra River. A decision for the location of the 2023 meeting will be voted upon by IUCr delegates at the next Congress meeting that is being held in Hyderabad, India in August, 2017.