Welcome to the homepage of the Society of Crystallographers in Australia and New Zealand
Maslen Scholarships for AsCA2015 Kolkata
The extended abstract deadline for the 13th AsCA meeting in Kolkata is September 5 (http://www.asca2015.org) Funding to support attendance at this conference is available for postgraduate students from SCANZ in the form of Maslen scholarships. SCANZ members should have received an email with the application. Applications must be submitted by midnight on Friday August 28, 2015 (in order that applicants can be notified of the outcome before the early-bird registration deadline, which is also September 5).
Conditions of the Award of a Maslen Scholarship:
1. That the applicant is enrolled as a full-time PhD Student at the time of his/her application and will be presenting their research at the meeting either in oral or poster form.
2. Applicants must have been a financial member of SCANZ for at least 6 months prior to application and their supervisor must have been a financial member of SCANZ for at least 12 months prior to the submission of their application.
3. Applications should include a brief (less than 1 page) CV. Any written indication of support for the application from his/her supervisor would be positively regarded.
4. If a request for travel support is being made, additional information on this is required (1 or 2 sentences).
5. Support for any student will normally be limited to a maximum of one overseas conference and one local (i.e. CRYSTAL) meeting (Australia or NZ) and is at the sole discretion of the SCANZ Executive (in all matters).
CODATA Prize 2014 awarded to Prof Syd Hall
Congratulations to UWA Emeritus Professor, and Bush Crystallographer, Syd Hall on being awarded the 2014 CODATA Prize. The prize is a major biennial award which acknowledges outstanding achievement in the world of scientific and technical data. Syd will attend the SciDataCon 2014 in New Delhi to receive the prize.
SCANZ Poster Prizes at COMBIO
Congratulations to Sahil Balotra, Amy McGrath and Gabrielle Watson who all received SCANZ poster prizes at the recent COMBIO meeting.
Thanks to Aaron Oakley, Luke Guddat and Colin Jackson for organising and judging.
IUCr Crystallographic Computing School
As of 20/5/2014 there are still places available at the IUCr Crystallographic Computing School at Ottawa, July 29 - Aug 4.
The School is intended for senior postgraduates and postdocs in all areas of crystallography (including macro- and small-molecule crystallography, powder diffraction, and small-angle scattering) who may want to become involved in software development, but lack experience in this.
IUCr Sponsored workshop
Interested in "Symmetry Relationships between Crystal Structures with Application to Structural Phase Transitions"? Go to http://www.iitbhu.ac.in/conferences/mst/IUCr/ to find out more about this IUCr-sponsored workshop at Varanasi, India, October 27-31.
Bragg and Mathieson Medals Awarded at Crystal 29
Congratulations to Syd Hall and Marc Kvansakul for being awarded the prestigious Lawrence Bragg Medal and Sandy Mathieson Medal. Look here for details.
CRYSTAL29 - 2014 - Gold Coast
We are pleased to announce that the CRYSTAL29 SCANZ Conference will be held between 22 and 25 April 2014 at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in the Lamington National Park in the Gold Coast Hinterland in Queensland (http://www.oreillys.com.au/). Click here for details.
[SCANZ-info] mailing list
We have created an email list, called [SCANZ-info] for communication across the Australia and New Zealand crystallographic community. The SCANZ Council often receives requests to forward information and requests to its members. We have decided that a self-subscription mailing list is the best solution - one where only subscribers to the list are able to post. Please consider joining the list if you are interested in sending or receiving emails discussing crystallographic issues, employment opportunities, equipment or expertise requests etc.
Go to: http://maillists.uwa.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/scanz-info and follow the instructions.